A functional oncology treatment plan is based on The Institute of Functional Medicine (IFM) standards of practice which is aimed at targeting the root cause of disease. The same is true for functional oncology—we are not just interested in treating symptoms or cancer as a diagnosis with a drug or radiation treatment. The whole person is considered in addressing imbalances in the body. There are very few practices in the country focusing on functional medicine and using it as a platform to treat cancer.
The “functional oncology” platform I developed for Hyperion Functional Medicine evolved out of my clinical experience as a certified functional medicine provider at the Center for Functional Medicine at Cleveland Clinic and the hands-on experience I had with my daughter in her cancer journey with Stage 4 nasopharyngeal Carcinoma. We take the proactive steps identified by the IFM in diagnosing and treating root cause, then further diving into the research-based causes, contributors and roots of cancer. Central to my program is understanding the cancer hallmarks which drive cancer occurrence and cancer cell production and then applying the roots of chronic disease to cancer manifestation.
Functional oncology is being shown to impact cancer treatment outcomes and recovery when we look at our functional oncology treatment plans.
Functional Oncology v. Western Oncology
In Western oncology, you are led to take short and probably long-term steps, multiple treatment protocols, using chemicals/pharmaceuticals, surgeries, and radiation to heal your body from cancer. All are put into place to improve your cancer survival outcome.
The roots of cancer are never addressed in Western oncology platforms. In functional oncology, the cancer roots are addressed to directly impact cancer specific characteristics; if they are not addressed, cancer may not be eliminated and recurrence of cancer can, and will likely, occur.
Benefits of Functional Oncology
- Cancer patients and survivors learn to optimize the soil, or cancer microenvironment, that contains their cancer roots
- Learn about how and why you need to live a healthier lifestyle
- Learn how to and take steps to decrease inflammation impacting cancer growth and spread
- Learn how to optimize detoxification in your body
- Learn about nutrition deficits and support your nutrition to impact cancer recovery and long-term remission
- Learn stress reduction techniques to impact cancer growth and proliferation
- Heal the gut and optimize the immune system
- Normalize and potentially detoxify harmful hormones, particularly toxic forms of estrogen
Have questions about functional oncology and functional oncology treatment plans? Click here to schedule a free Inspiration Encounter with me.